Americas Privacy Counsel
Compensation: $165,260.00 - $165,260.00 /year *
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reportingto the Chief Privacy Officer with a dotted line to the Deputy Privacy Officer thisposition serves as the Americas data privacy legal lead. The role will supportWillis Towers Watson s business and the work of the Data Privacy Office inestablishing and maintaining compliance standards and Willis Towers Watson s global privacyprogram in Americas.
Global Privacy Office
The Privacy team is part of Legal and Compliance and provides legal advice relating to Willis Towers Watson s use of personal data and is also responsible for setting the privacy compliance strategy. Specifically, the privacy team is responsible for:
- Set policies based on applicable laws and regulations relating to personal data
- Legal expertise and counsel on Willis Towers Watson s compliance with global privacy regulations
- Provide support on data privacy contractual terms, including privacy questionnaires
- Training and tools to support the business in carrying out their responsibilities such as data privacy impact assessments
- Serve as the legal leadcontact on data protection and privacy matters in the Americas, including Willis Towers Watson s CCPA program.
- Negotiate data protection terms for vendor, supplier, customer andemployee agreements, as well as RFPs, bids, and strategic business partnershipsand provide support and guidance regarding same for the business and othermembers of the Legal Department.
- Advise the business and fellow legal department members on legalcompliance requirements applicable to the privacy and management of thepersonal information of customers, employees and other individuals with whomthe company interacts and related confidential personal information.
- Support the design, establishment and maintenance of Willis Towers Watson s global dataprivacy program and compliance standards to comport with legal compliancerequirements for Americas, working in close collaboration with the Global ChiefPrivacy Officer.
- Support business and corporate functions on the mitigation of dataprivacy risks identified on privacy impact assessments of Willis Towers Watson s products andservice offerings in the Americas.
- Assess the impact of new and existing regulations or laws on Willis Towers Watson s existing operations and offerings; providing advice to the relevant businessteams to foster privacy by design and alignment with applicable legalrequirements and corporate data protection policies and standards. Monitor andcommunicate the approval of those new regulations and laws.
- Advise on the requirements and restrictions for international transferof personal data by Willis Towers Watson and its contracting parties as well as advising onresponses to subject access and similar requests.
- Along with the Privacy team, provide training and education to legalstaff, management and employees relating to data privacy and protection in theAmericas, including key legal issues, laws and regulations, corporate policiesand other relevant matters. Support the development and delivery of relevantprivacy awareness and training initiatives to build privacy awareness into Willis Towers Watson s corporate culture.
- Remain current on legal, regulatory developments affecting dataprotection and privacy in Americas.
Preferred location for this role is the New York Metro area, but will consider candidates in the Philadelphia, Nashville, or Arlington VA regions.
Note: Visaemployment-based non-immigrant visa sponsorship and/or assistance is notoffered for this specific job opportunity.
The role requires an experienced lawyer with demonstrable presence andinterpersonal skills sufficient to function successfully in a highly visibleand challenging position. Essential requirements are:
- Qualified practicing lawyer with a law degree from a LawSchool.
- 6 8 years post qualification experience as a practicinglawyer preferably with a corporation, in the insurance or consulting industriespreferred.
- Thepreferred candidate holds a privacy certification (CIPP, CIPT or CIPM from theIAPP or similar).
- Detailed knowledge of data protection/privacyrequirements, laws and regulations in the Americas and globally, includingCCPA, HIPAA, GDPR, and GLBA along with experience of providing advice relatingto information technology service providers and vendors.
- The ability to work collaboratively and to engage andinfluence in a matrix organization.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills which can beapplied to both internal and external relationships, with the ability toreconcile compliance requirements with business needs as far as is possible.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Adept atanalyzing and interpreting laws and regulations. Attention to detail.
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity andbusiness ethics. Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality ofsensitive information.
- Ability to make autonomous decisions that arestrategically of a high level of risk to the organization.
Job ID: 1900050M
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Area: Legal
Function: Legal General
Industry: Consulting Services
Associated topics: attorney, attorney corporate, compliance, corporate, corporate attorney, court, courtroom, legal affairs, legal department, llp
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...